Sunday, August 05, 2007

Summertime

Day after day of sunshine! I'm about to get Northwest Sunshine Panic Syndrome!
We have been picking salal berries and baking tarts. Salal berries were a big thing for the native people here. They made fruit leather out of it, and then rolled the sheets of it up into a huge wheel to last the winter. It has no thorns! They taste like blueberries.
Eating great quantities of it makes you poop green. (Too much information?)

The sock trade is rolling along & picking up speed. I have over a dozen avid knitters casting on stitches and beginning to knit me a pair of lovely socks. I cannot tell you how exciting this is! I think I better buy more bronze! Since I love smithing out the knitting needles, and whimper & sob when I try to knit socks, this is a match made in heaven.
Meanwhile we have had house guests, and more coming at regular intervals this whole month. But we really like guests, so that is fine. John & I love to cook for people, and to take them hiking around here.

2 comments:

spinndiva said...

oooh I wish I could have one of the tarts!!!
The book came yesterday! THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!! I love it!

Some Clam said...

Thanks Molly, I've been coming to Lopez for more than a dozen years and moved here full-time two years ago. In all that time nobody told me that salal berries were edible! I've got plenty of salal in the woods so I'll have to try some.